On Sun, Nov 21, 2021 at 1:49 PM Matthew Miller <mat...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 21, 2021 at 09:45:57AM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > > Hello., is not precisely my idea but anyone can build a script, which can
> > > be included in fedora live cd image for solving/troubleshoting this
> > > issues, at least for a fedora default instalation, if is a custom install
> > > there is nothing we can do about that.
> > > * Reinstalling the bootloader.
> > > * Rebuilding the initramfs image.
> > > * Upgrading or downgrading packages.
> > > * Resetting a forgotten password.
> > > * Root Account Locked.
> > > * Recover GRUB2 problem.
> >
> > Installer images already have this, it's called 'rescue mode'. Live
> > images do not have it, but any netinst or the Server DVD image does
> > have it.
>
> It does seem like adding a rescue mode to the live image wouldn't be a bad
> idea. Maybe even with some kind of GUI helper. But someone would have to
> develop that software, and as always we have more ideas then implementors.
> And of course, implementing means keeping it up to date, fixing problems
> that occur, and helping test that it still works on new releases, and so on.

Or a way to run the installer in rescue mode from Live media. Maybe
it's possible to invoke from CLI in a terminal program, but I haven't
tried it.

Also note the wiki should be converted into a quickdoc, and replace
the existing one. The wiki entry has been update most recently and
includes a section on using the installer's rescue mode to assemble
pretty much any system that blivet can locate an /etc/fstab for.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GRUB_2?rd=Grub2#I_have_a_grub.3E_prompt.21_Now_what.3F

--
Chris Murphy