On 21/11/2021 15:01, Stephen Snow wrote:

But actually I think the old wiki version is much more useful
in explaining how things work, especially if you're not coming
at it from the position of submitting a new package:

And it tells me to read a document that doesn't apparently exist
anymore.

That's why I gave a link to the old version from the wiki history
before it was replaced by a pointer to the new page.

https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=How_to_get_sponsored_into_the_packager_group&oldid=619444

Basically you need to find somebody to sponsor you as a
packager - normally that happens as part of having your first
package review but obviously that doesn't work when you want
to take over an existing package.

So you see what I was talking about so many (years?!?!) ago, then
recently too on this list. It is a common thing it seems that once a
person steps up to ask for sponsorship something seems to happen. I am
struck by the first line of your response "You say you have "asked to
become a packager" but what exactly do you mean by that?" Well, quite
simply what I stated, but yet I am being questioned about my sincereity
and credibility immediately.

I wasn't questioning your credibility, I was just confused because
there's no formal place to lodge such a request as far as I know other
than a review ticket blocking FE-SPONSOR which doesn't apply here.

I was worried that you had filed some sort of request somewhere
that nobody was looking.

So back to what I was trying to say in my conversation here about some
tool for assessing the prospective newbies like me who want to help but
need a sponsor, I was thinking of an app that tests your knowledge and
the discussion went towards a generic test package to show packaging
knowledge with, then make sponsoring come easier for sponsors. Because
this seems to be really the crux of the matter, trust or lack of it.

I'm not aware of any previous discussions. I was just answering
the questions you asked in your post today.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (t...@compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/