On Thu, Nov 25, 2021 at 3:05 AM Miroslav Suchý <msu...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Dne 22. 11. 21 v 15:00 Pavel Raiskup napsal(a):
> > Hello Fedora EPEL maintainers!
> >
> > First I don't feel comfortable announcing this, I'm not happy about the
> > situation and so I don't want to be the lightning rod :-).  But I believe
> > that we can come to acceptable Copr/Mock solution and this needs to be
> > discussed...  so here we are.
> >
> > By the end of the year 2021 we have to fix our default EPEL 8 Mock
> > configuration (mock-core-configs.rpm, /etc/mock/epel-8-*.cfg) as CentOS 8
> > goes EOL by then.
>

> I wrote down the possible options and their pros and cons and I done my best
> to catch all the feedback here.
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wF7-7_y6Ac_oB-kCFdE6VBWPW8o8zjXd2Z0SGy4VxUA/edit?usp=sharing
>
> Miroslav

That seems to be a succinct listing. I think you left out my
suggestion.of "support people re-inventing point releases for CentOS",
which is what major CentOS users will do using internal mirrors. due
to concern about unexpected and unwelcome updates of CentOS Stream,
while they assess whether AlmaLinux or Rocky are reliable and stable
enough to use. It's not an uncommon behavior for EPEL itself, partly
because of EPEL's bad habit of deleting RPMs without warning and
stripping out all previous releases. That's caused me problems with
chromium and firefox when updates were incompatible with contemporary
regression testing systems.

The difficulty with switching mock to AlmaLinux or Rocky is that there
is likely to be significant phase lag with new point releases by Red
Hat, and that it will inflict quite a bandwidth burden for all the
"mock" setups in the field. Can they scale up to handle that?