On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 8:10 PM Peter Boy <p...@uni-bremen.de> wrote:

> > Am 16.11.2021 um 20:37 schrieb Miro Hrončok <mhron...@redhat.com>:
> >
> > On 15. 11. 21 20:15, Ben Cotton wrote:
> >> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/RetireARMv7
> >> == Owner ==
> >> * Name: [[User:pbrobinson| Peter Robinson]]
> >> * Email: <pbrobin...@fedoraproject.org>
> >
> > May I suggest to include
> > https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/a...@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/YC2LYBJSFKDAVBUJAIFQCCBS5VLW5TUB/
> >  in the feedback section (which is entirely missing from this proposal)?
>
> I've only been dealing with Arm SBC boards for a short time and therefore
> only with aarch64 and certainly don't know many details yet.
>
> A big advantage of Linux is that older hardware is supported for a long time
> and is still usable. This is almost a "trademark“.

Someone has to do that work. Volunteers are less and less on ARMv7, do
you expect those remaining to increase their workload as a result?
Because that is what is happening.

> Therefore my question, would it reduce the effort already noticeably, if you
> reduce armv7 to "server" (and evtl IoT), i.e. without all the graphical
> interfaces? And without new, additional functionality, just security fixes? A
> kind of „maintenance mode“?

We've already de-focused Desktops and stopped creating a number of the
DE images.

> This could (hopefully) solve a number of problems raised by various
> contributors to the discussion (and preserve the „trademark").

It wouldn't have a massive impact or reduction of work on the
maintainers such as myself