On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 5:34 PM Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > [https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree-rs-ext/issues/69 support
> > chunking]
> >
> > For more details, please see:
> >
> > * [
> https://github.com/coreos/enhancements/blob/main/os/coreos-layering.md
> > CoreOS layering enhancement]
> > * [https://coreos.github.io/rpm-ostree/container/ rpm-ostree container
> docs]
> > * [https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree-rs-ext/ ostree-rs-ext project]
> >
> > Note that significant effort has been invested in ensuring
> > compatibility between what exists in ostree today and OCI/Docker
> > container image "encapsulation".  For example, we will continue to
> > reuse the GPG signature infrastructure on OSTree commits that exists
> > today - the ostree tooling knows how to verify the signature *inside*
> > the container image.  In the future, we will also likely invest in
> > container-native signatures.
> >

> > == Benefit to Fedora ==
> >
> > * Stronger focus on Docker/OCI as transport for operating system and
> > applications
> > * New ability to easily create derived operating system images "server
> side"
> > * More benefit from e.g. work on container deltas
> >
> > == Scope ==
> > * Proposal owners: Lots of detailed items listed in the
> rpm-ostree/CoreOS docs.
> > * Other developers: The "other" here is vague, but certainly
> > developing this so far has needed cooperation with e.g. the
> > containers/ organization etc.
> >
> > * Release engineering: https://pagure.io/releng/issue/10399
> > * Policies and guidelines: N/A (not needed for this Change)
> > * Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
> > * Alignment with Objectives: No
> >
> > == Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
> >
> > Each individual edition/spin would need to choose when and how to make
> > a cutover to containers as a transport.  The Fedora OSTree repository
> > would continue to be maintained until that is finished.
> >

> > == How To Test ==
> >
> > See the examples under https://coreos.github.io/rpm-ostree/container/
> >

> > == User Experience ==
> >
> > Users of rpm-ostree systems will primarily interact with container
> images.
> >
> > == Dependencies ==
> >
> > Release engineering.
> >
> > == Contingency Plan ==
> >
> > * Contingency mechanism: Continue to ship updates via baseline OSTree
> > <!-- REQUIRED FOR SYSTEM WIDE CHANGES -->
> > * Blocks release? No
> >

> > == Documentation ==
> >
> > Already linked above to avoid duplicating it here.
> >

> A couple of things from my perspective:
>
> * I would like to see how this would enable CoreOS releases to go
> through Bodhi instead of hiding off to the side as it does now. That
> also means using registry.fedoraproject.org as the primary registry
> that replicates to quay.io.
> * How does this affect Kinoite, Silverblue, and CoreOS releases? Are
> they changing immediately to this mechanism?

Also, how does this intersect with Fedora IoT and their desire to move to
Imagebuilder?

Overall this looks exciting to me and I love the idea that I can write an
Dockerfile (or new thing) file to declare my layering and have it all built
(or rebuilt) via existing container tooling.

Huzzah!

regards,

bex

--
Did this email arrive after work for you?  Stop reading it and enjoy some
work/life balance.

Brian "bex" Exelbierd (he/him/his)
Community Business Owner, RHEL Product Management
@bexelbie | http://www.winglemeyer.org
bexel...@redhat.com