I maintain the now-deprecated pure-Python “rocm-smi” package, and I’ve looked a few times at packaging rocm_smi_lib[1] to replace it, but the kinds of distro-friendliness issues you mention, e.g. [2][3], have so far been more than I was willing to work around.

I was also partially dissuaded by a general sense (which may or may not be accurate) that the main ROCm project’s issue tracker is dominated on both the filing and the responding side by high-volume end-user support questions, while the individual component projects have mostly technical bug reports but don’t always seem to have anyone reliably looking at them.

I’m happy to collaborate on work in this area as I am able, particularly—from a selfish perspective—if it leads to a maintainable rocm_smi_lib without too many downstream hacks, or if it eventually enables GPGPU in Darktable and/or BOINC without proprietary or unpackaged software. I think a lot of people would be *very* excited about that, if it is possible.

– Ben Beasley (FAS music)

[1] https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute/rocm_smi_lib/
[2] https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute/rocm_smi_lib/issues/84
[3] https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute/rocm_smi_lib/issues/83