On Tue, Dec 28, 2021 at 9:50 AM Roberto Sassu via devel
<devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> thanks for the comments. I try to answer in one email.
>
> First, a clarification. Given that this feature is proposed
> for an open source distribution, its primary goal is to
> aid the users to satisfy their security needs, and let them
> decide how this will be done. It is not going to impose to
> users anything that they don't want to have. It will not
> be enabled by default in any case, even during an update
> to a newer Fedora version. It will let the users run anything
> they want to run.
>
> Before talking about the changes in the workload when
> using third-party/private repositories, it seems to me
> that an important requirement is to not interfere with
> compiled applications, or customizations made by the
> user. A good compromise, as I mentioned, is to not check
> the software executed by regular users, but only for the
> critical processes executed as root. The damage of executing
> an untrusted binary will be (likely) confined in the user
> environment.
>
> Reading the requirement of having third-party/private
> repositories (totally understandable), I realize that there
> must be a very clear documentation on how this case
> should be handled. The first point should be how to add
> the additional GPG keys to the kernel keyring, so that
> signature verification can be done. Since the RPM Fusion
> repository has the GPG keys (https://rpmfusion.org/keys),
> supporting the NVIDIA drivers or modern decoders should
> be possible. It could be even possible that a user installs
> his own GPG key (adequately protected), if he wants to sign
> customized software.
>
> The second point, probably more complicated, is how to
> identify the files that should be added to the user-generated
> digest list. I implemented a simple solution to this problem,
> a tool scans the filesystem and creates a digest list with
> the files that are not in the digest lists already generated
> (including the RPM DB). This applies for anything that is not
> packaged. For the rest, the kernel will be automatically
> synchronized every time the package manager is executed
> (and at boot time) and it will be transparent for the user.
>
> Just a brief note about remote attestation. I agree that we
> won't see soon a server we connect to with the browser
> proving that it is running the expected software configuration
> other than proving its identity. But in an enterprise network,
> this could be very useful. By periodically establishing a TLS
> connection with the nodes, you will immediately see if one
> node is compromised by seeing that that node is not able
> to respond in the handshake. I mentioned TLS because there
> is already a software (openssl-tpm2-engine) which takes
> care of the communication between openssl and the TPM.
> Something similar could be done for SSH.
>
> Regarding the concern that DIGLIM is not in the upstream
> kernel, I understand. It went through several reviews, but
> [...]

In general, Fedora does not include non-upstream functionality in its
Linux kernel builds. This can be frustrating for development and cases
where upstream requires downstream validation before upstream
acceptance, but in this case, I recommend having a COPR build of the
kernel with the patchset added.

It also looks like there's some userspace work that needs to be done
too. It'd be good to have those patches reviewed by their respective
upstreams sooner rather than later. For example, I haven't seen a PR
proposed to RPM for the plugin.

I also agree that this feature is unlikely to affect people, as this
feature will not be enabled by default. It would be extremely useful
for people building Fedora-based appliances which need tamper
protection for various reasons. And Fedora derivatives (like
RHEL/CentOS, Amazon Linux, openEuler, etc.) can benefit from us having
the functionality integrated even if we don't enable it by default.

Finally, I have trouble accessing gitee.com, can you put this stuff
somewhere that is more accessible (like pagure.io, gitlab.com, or
github.com)?