On Sun, Jan 16, 2022 at 5:05 PM Chris Adams <li...@cmadams.net> wrote:

> Once upon a time, Ben Cotton <bcot...@redhat.com> said:
> > == Benefit to Fedora ==
> >
> > * The RPM database primarily describes the state of `/usr`. Storing
> > the databases in `/usr` will more easily facilitate OS rollback,
> > without affecting `/var`.
>
> Rolling back to the start... this statement is only marginally true.
> And "primarily" is a hand-wavy hedge that just pretends the rest doesn't
> matter.
>
> Ony my Fedora 35 desktop, I have things in RPM under a lot of top-level
> directories:
>
> $ rpm -qla | grep '^/.*/' | cut -d/ -f2 | sort | uniq -c
>      99 boot
>    2998 etc
>   14792 lib
>      43 lib64
>      97 opt
>       5 root
>      43 run
>      10 sbin
>  442175 usr
>    2036 var
>
> Some of those are RPMs that should probably be updated, but some of that
> won't go away.  There's important stuff in /var and /etc, and even for
> the stuff that could be blown away and recreated, most programs aren't
> set up (or don't have permission) to recreate their directories.

I'm not expecting to do filesystem rollbacks to revert Firefox or
SQLite. I expect if I have some kind of boot or startup problem, the
system is a candidate for a rollback. In such a failure, I haven't run
any other programs yet that may have upgraded a database.

Could modification to something in /etc result in startup failure?
Yep. Is a full system rollback really called for here? It'll work, but
it's a hammer. So maybe services need to learn to be a little
suspicious of /etc configs, and fail safe? Maybe system critical items
should be able to fall back to /usr/etc?

--
Chris Murphy