Hello Mirek,

This is the most constructive reply I've seen in this thread.

On Monday, January 31, 2022 1:12:50 PM EST Miloslav Trmac wrote:
> > But doesn't satisfy our security requirements. If the kernel dbus project
> > had been successful, then Linux would have had a rock solid basis to
> > allow impersonation which would satisfy the security requirements and
> > allow the desktop actually go through a common criteria certification if
> > any one ever  wanted to do that. But as it stands, anything created by
> > IPC is missing the necessary security context.
>
> I mean, yes. I read that as not a reason to stick with set-uid, but as a
> reason to make that a priority, and drive the investment and the cultural
> change; otherwise Linux security is just going to keep falling behind. OTOH
> with the consolehelper history and a lot of similar examples, I don’t know
> how to do any of that (make it a priority, drive the investment, drive the
> cultural change).

Linux needs a first class impersonation mechanism. This would be where the
kernel bestows upon a process, certain attributes from another process. Both
sides should agree so that no toke kidnapping is possible or forcing
credentials on an unsuspecting process. With something like this, we can
start to solve the security problems caused by IPC instantiation. I was
really hoping kernel dbus was successful way back when.

> > And access decisions do not go through the audit system.
>
> For polkit, that would be… a 20-line patch?

Probably a little more. The auditing would need to be selective and by admin
control. Meaning, the admin may decide that they want auditing of one
application's permission grants and not the other.

> Sure, the invoking user’s configuration can be trusted only to the extent a
> D-Bus server provides it correctly to Polkit, making the D-Bus servers a
> part of the trusted codebase. Still, that would be pretty valuable at least
> until the first successful exploit.

I was hoping with kernel dbus, polkit would have examined the connections
itself and asked the kernel for veracity of the request. I really wished that
was given another try and everyone agreed on why it was necessary so that it
could be articulated well to the people that have to say yes/no to the patch.

-Steve