Jeff Fearn replied to my email, but he only copied the internal
bugzilla-list, because he wanted to include security details and didn't
feel comfortable doing that on a public list. I've selected the most
important parts of his replies and deleted the rest. Please see his

On Wed, Feb 9, 2022 at 1:37 PM Jeff Fearn <jfe...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 9/2/2022 20:33, Kamil Paral wrote:
> > initially I (and not just me) read the email as "update to the latest
> > python-bugzilla and you'll be fine". But after I played with
> > bugzilla.stage, and read the announcement more carefully, it seems that
> the
> > only possible authentication method is now using the bugzilla api key,
> i.e.
> > using the username + password login is no longer possible (for API
> access).
> > Is that correct?
>
> Yes this is correct.
>
> > I do have several concerns regarding that. The change seems too sudden
> and
> > a lot of Fedora tooling interacts with bugzilla.
>
> This has been discussed for some time on the internal bugzilla-list.
>
> [snip]
>
> > So, basically two questions:
> > 1. Why are we given so little time to react? Can this change wait at
> least
> > until F36 is released (around the end of April), so that the Anaconda and
> > ABRT teams (as well as others) can incorporate the changes
>
> The time line was based on the feedback we got on bugzilla-list.
> Technically it's a pretty easy change and no one raised these kinds of
> issues.
>
> People with blockers should send a mail to bugzilla-list, or open a
> ticket, with all the gory details, and we can mash it out.
>
> The list is better IMO because there are people from other teams who can
> contribute to the discussion.
>
> > 2. Is there a good enough justification for completely banning
> > username+password authentication? Because this will have a strong impact
> on
> > Fedora quality by reducing the amount of crash reports which we receive,
> > can't imagine it any other way.
>
> This change is driven by security of credentials
> [snip]

Based on Jeff's responses, I'd encourage teams, which own a high-impact
application/tooling affected by this change and can't react quickly enough,
to post into the internal bugzilla-list and discuss this issue. The
deadline could be possibly extended if there are good reasons for it, it
seems. Teams without access to the internal bugzilla-list can open a
bugzilla ticket (against the Bugzilla product) or contact Jeff directly, I
assume.