On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 10:32:52AM -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 10:14 AM Lennart Poettering
> <mzerq...@0pointer.de> wrote:
> >
> > On Di, 22.02.22 18:08, Lennart Poettering (mzerq...@0pointer.de) wrote:
> >
> > >          And: NM-w-o.s actually being pulled in *is* a bug, unless you
> > >          have something like configured NFS/SMB mounts in /etc/fstab,
> > >          that really cannot work without the network actually being
> > >          up. There might be other valid candidates for this,
> > >          i.e. other network client stuff that is really important for
> > >          the boot to be up.

Clarification: it *is* a bug *if* the unit that is ordered after it is
ordered before the default boot target. So e.g. something that is started
at boot but does not delay the default boot target is not a problem.

> > On one of my machines here I see that the following services pull it in:
> >
> >     dnf-makecache.timer nfs-server.service rpc-statd-notify.service
> >     rpc-statd.service nfs-mountd.service
> >
> > The DNF thing looks like an obvious bug to me. DNF's cache logic
> > really shouldn't add an expensive sync point to the boot like
> > this. Someone should file a bug to ask them to remove that.

No, no. dnf-makecache.timer is "asynchronous" — it is not part of
multi-user.target. It is reasonable to order it after network is up
because this way it can just do its thing without spurious noise about
failed connections.

> > The NFS stuff look all wrong to me too, i.e. NFS server stuff
> > afaics. That should not require the network to be fully up during
> > boot. But then again, NFS is weird, so what do I know?
> >
> > Normally, unlikely client software, server software should really
> > watch rtnl or so and follow local network configuration to make its
> > services available, and thus it doesn't have to wait for the online
> > sync point...

nfs works best when the network is up ;)
We probably could rewrite it to be more event-driven, but I guess
it's unlikely at this point.

> OK so PackageKit, dnf, and nfs-utils.
>
> In a default clean install, nfs-convert.service is enabled, but vendor
> preset is disabled. I do not know why. When I use "systemctl
> preset-all" it's not enabled. And I'm not finding any candidates in
> /etc for a local change.

Zbyszek