On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 10:50 AM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbys...@in.waw.pl> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 10:41:50AM -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
> > $ cat /usr/lib/systemd/system/dnf-makecache.timer
> > [Unit]
> > Description=dnf makecache --timer
> > ConditionKernelCommandLine=!rd.live.image
> > # See comment in dnf-makecache.service
> > ConditionPathExists=!/run/ostree-booted
> > Wants=network-online.target
> >
> > [Timer]
> > OnBootSec=10min
> > OnUnitInactiveSec=1h
> > RandomizedDelaySec=60m
> > Unit=dnf-makecache.service
> >
> > [Install]
> > WantedBy=timers.target
> > [chris@fovo ~]$
> >

> > So what should the Wants be here, instead of network-online.target?
> > multiuser.target? I suppose they need to be someone tolerant of no
> > network being available during startup, it does seem to take a while
> > for wireless connections to succeed, but at least in my case it's up
> > by the time I've logged in.
> >
> > Also the same thing for packagekit.service.
> >
> > $ cat /usr/lib/systemd/system/packagekit.service
> > [Unit]
> > Description=PackageKit Daemon
> > # PK doesn't know how to do anything on ostree-managed systems;
> > # currently the design is to have dedicated daemons like
> > # eos-updater and rpm-ostree, and gnome-software talks to those.
> > ConditionPathExists=!/run/ostree-booted
> > Wants=network-online.target
> >
> > [Service]
> > Type=dbus
> > BusName=org.freedesktop.PackageKit
> > User=root
> > ExecStart=/usr/libexec/packagekitd
>
> See my other mail: those two are not a problem.

I'm lost on what is causing the problem, because I have a reproducible
doubling of boot times with NetworkManager-wait-online.service
enabled, versus not enabled. And
$ systemctl show -p WantedBy,RequiredBy network-online.target
RequiredBy=
WantedBy=packagekit.service dnf-makecache.timer

So it seems one or both of those is the cause of the problem; or I
don't understand the problem well enough to be involved in the
discussion (almost certainly true anyway).

--
Chris Murphy