On Fri, Apr 8, 2022 at 8:07 AM Vitaly Zaitsev via devel
<devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On 07/04/2022 18:10, Robbie Harwood wrote:
> > While we do maintain a large set of patches downstream, due to upstream
> > being inactive for a while, today upstream is alive and very much not
> > abandoned:
>
> Why not upstream all those patches then?

It's not quite that simple. There are currently 214 patches on
GRUB[1]. Some of those are backports of reviewed and merged patches,
but a large chunk of them are feature development patches that are
either in review or haven't been submitted because dependent patches
are in review. Patch review is long, slow, and complex. It's even more
so for GRUB. Top that with there being only one major committer for
the upstream project right now (Daniel Kiper). I'm not fully aware of
the dynamics of the GRUB project, so I don't know the reason for the
lack of other committers. But needless to say, I know that Daniel
considers it a top priority to eliminate the Red Hat GRUB fork by
incorporating its changes into mainline because a large number of
distributions use it instead of upstream due to the lack of
responsiveness, feature development, and fixes present in the upstream
code.

However, taking it all in wholesale without review is crazy because
then nobody else knows how the code was developed and if it should go
in as-is. That said, my personal opinion is that a couple of the folks
who work on RH GRUB should be part of the project leadership in
upstream GRUB and have commit access to maintain and manage this. That
may already be in place, but I don't know for sure.

[1]:
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/grub2/tree/d17f80cfd556d8a582756ee393361f6d203f2d77