On 11/12/2010 05:03 PM, clum...@redhat.com wrote:
>> We have been spending a lot of time and thought trying to scheme
>> about how to accelerate btrfs. At this point, it is actually fairly
>> stable but still missing key things (most notably a fsck that can
>> fix the file system!).
>>
>> Last week at plumbers, we did get a large chunk of the btrfs
>> developers together for a few hours and have been working to make
>> sure that we have sufficient people working to get this done...
> This is good information, and makes me feel even better about removing
> the need for a btrfs command line option.
>
> What I mean about "we're not quite there yet" is that I don't really
> want to change over to it as the default in anaconda until we (1) have a
> release or two with it as a non-hidden option to get some feedback, and
> (2) know what our strategy with it in a greater sense is.  If it's going
> to allow us to do all sorts of crazy new things, I'd like to enable the
> crazy new things at the same time as we switch it in as the default.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Remove the need for the command line option for F15+

Gather feedback for F15 and F16

Consider switching the default to BTRFS in F17.

*DE could consider switching the default to use EXT4 directly without
LVM. [1]

I would think that users would love to experience the work that Theodore
Tso has been doing [2] and what better way is it for them to do other
then experiencing it first hand in F15 when it goes out the door..

JBG

1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NoDefaultLVM
2. http://free.linux.hp.com/~enw/ext4/2.6.36-rc6/