On 3/30/22 09:49, Neal Gompa wrote:
On Wed, Mar 30, 2022 at 10:44 AM NightStrike <nightstr...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Mar 30, 2022, 08:34 Michael Cronenworth <m...@cchtml.com> wrote:

Hi,

Fedora currently ships Wine 7.3 released February 25th, 2022.

Wine 7.4, released March 11th, started to require a 'llvm-mingw' compiler for
ARM64
builds. Fedora ships the 'mingw-w64' gcc-based MinGW environment and does not
ship
the 'llvm' MinGW environment. Unlike the WineMono package, which bundles a
'llvm-mingw' compiler (that is removed and mingw-w64 is used), the Wine package
does
not bundle one and does not allow for an alternative compiler.

I will need to drop ARM from Wine in order to continue shipping new updates. I
do
not have the bandwidth to package the llvm-mingw compiler toolchain, nor do I
have
the time right now to discuss this with upstream.

That is an unfortunate decision on the part of wine. Gcc is a very robust
compiler.

I'm not surprised, honestly. I suspect the primary motivation for
Clang is that Microsoft contributed support for PDB to LLVM, but
nobody brought it into GCC as far as I know. That said, we don't have
any debug infrastructure for PDB, only DWARF (which is what GCC uses
in Fedora).

This is a bit of a late response, so apologies for that.

I believe we don't actually require LLVM per se (despite the configure error), but we do require MinGW cross-compilation. The reason for this, briefly, is that the overhead of supporting builds without a MinGW cross-compiler is growing too high. It is likely that in the future we will require MinGW for all architectures, although I cannot say how far in the future.

I don't know if the aarch64-w64-mingw32 target is supported for gcc, but if not, that is probably why the configure message is phrased like that. If it is, there's probably no reason for the message to specifically mention LLVM.

We do support PDB debug information (and it may work better than DWARF on the whole, but don't quote me on that), but we don't require it to build wine.

ἔρρωσθε,
Zeb