On Saturday, July 2, 2022 3:11:44 PM CDT Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 02, 2022 at 11:54:17AM -0500, Maxwell G via devel wrote:
> > On Saturday, July 2, 2022 10:01:18 AM CDT Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> > > This is an extremely common problem in Fedora: the de facto maintainer
> > > is not the main admin, and so the bugs are assigned to the wrong
> > > person. Ideally we would automatically orphan a package if the main
> > > admin does not have any commits to the package for a certain period of
> > > time, e.g. three years.
> >
> > It would help if other people besides the main admin could change the
> > Bugzilla assignee. After all, if the main admin is non-responsive, it's
> > going to be difficult to get them to do it.
>
> I'm not sure the main admin matters as much as this thread indicates?
> All the other maintainers of the package are CC'ed, in this case
> belegdol.

Maybe the main admin isn't so important, but the Bugzilla assignee is.
Packages should be assigned to the person who is actually maintaining it. This
makes it so bugs are more likely to be addressed. Then, the bugs will also
show up in the "Open bugs assigned to me" link on the Bugzilla homepage[1] for
the actual maintainer. This is more important for EPEL than Fedora proper. For
packagers who don't care about EPEL, EPEL bugs should be assigned to the co-
maintainer (or the epel-packagers-sig) who actually maintains the EPEL
branches; the latter should be held responsible to fix bugs and be the one who
is NEEDINFO'd (when/if that happens), not the Fedora maintainer. It seems like
there is at least some agreement in this area[2].

[1]: To be fair, I'm not sure how many people actually look at this. At least
I do.
[2]: https://pagure.io/releng/issue/10866

--
Thanks,