On Wed, Jul 6, 2022 at 2:49 AM Peter Boy <p...@uni-bremen.de> wrote:

> I very much appreciate the work to support the various SBC devices like
> Raspberry Pi and workalikes. But I'm a little lost with this proposal.
>
> > Am 05.07.2022 um 23:16 schrieb Ben Cotton <bcot...@redhat.com>:
> > The work around Raspberry Pi 4 has been on going for a number of
> > years, but we've never officially supported it due to lack of
> > accelerated graphics and other key features. A few of us have led the
> > push to get the accelerated graphics work over the line upstream so it
> > now makes sense to enable this in Fedora and make support for the
> > Raspberry Pi 4 more official.
>
> Why Raspberry Pi, and that as the only model from the large number of
> comparable devices?
>
> Why not other devices, whose makers - as far as I understood the discussion -
> are far more OSS friendly or e.g. explicitly name Fedora as a recommended
> operating system?
>
> I know, Raspberry Pi is very popular. But this looks to me a bit like Fedora,
> the proverbial uninvited guest shouting "me too" from his corner.

Because one of the biggest complaints we get about Fedora ARM is that
it *doesn't* work. It was even featured in a recent podcast as a
severe problem with Fedora. The Raspberry Pi is the only mass produced
ARM device everyone can get their hands on *everywhere* (when in
stock). The device has penetrated the public consciousness in a way
nothing else has.

And make no mistake, *all* SBCs are not very good at being OSS
friendly, even *if* they mention Fedora by name. Vendors generally do
not care about mainline support, and it's usually up to *someone else*
to get it done. The Raspberry Pi has the benefit of visibility, so
people try very hard to get it done.