Kevin Kofler via devel <devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> writes:
> Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
>> In https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/2803 Artem asked for a user-visible
>> notification when a Fedora stops being supported. Various proposals
>> for online checks were discussed in the bug, but I think we might make
>> do with something much simpler.
>
> That will just be perceived as an annoyance. It will not lead to users
> actually upgrading their Fedora any more quickly.
>
>> The advantage of this proposal that it is very simple and will work
>> even on machines that don't have network connectivity,
>
> How does EOL matter at all for machines that do not have network
> connectivity? They will not get any updates either way!

Cloud instances can be pretty special in this way: you may just be
launching the latest image for a particular major OS release, and at
some point in time, that is going to no longer get you any security
updates.

This is a pretty common use case on AWS with customers launching
instances in VPCs that only have external connectivity to the S3 repos
with OS packages (or not even that if they bake their own AMI with all
the packages they need in it), and connectivity to whatever other
service/instance that the instance needs to do its work.

Often the only other external thing will be some kind of security
scanner.