Hi all,

Today I encountered another LLVM-specific bug that affects at least
one Rust package and causes non-working code to be produced, which
prompted this question:

Why are stable releases not getting bugfix releases of LLVM?

Fedora 35 is stuck at LLVM 13.0.0, while 13.0.1 has been released.
Fedora 36 is stuck at LLVM 14.0.0, while 14.0.1 through 14.0.6 have
been released.
Even Rawhide is at LLVM 14.0.5, but has not been updated to 14.0.6 yet
(released over 3 weeks ago).

However, the llvm13 compat package that exists on Fedora 36+ *has*
been updated to version 13.0.1, so I'm not sure why this update wasn't
also pushed to Fedora 35, where LLVM 13 is the default, and would
benefit much more from bugfixes provided by 13.0.1.

Given that llvm and the whole llvm ecosystem (clang, lld, rustc, ghc
on some architectures, mesa/llvmpipe) are an important part of our
stack, it seems bad that stable releases are missing out on several
bugfix updates for those critical packages.

I appreciate that updating ~a dozen packages for new LLVM point
releases is work, but I don't think having outdated LLVM components on
stable releases of Fedora is a good idea, either.

What can we do to improve this situation?

Fabio