On Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 9:53 AM Brian (bex) Exelbierd
<bexel...@redhat.com> wrote:

> I wonder if we should take another approach here. Assuming no serious bugs in
> dnf, rather than tuning dnf for low memory environments could we suggest
> those folks use Fedora Silverblue, CoreOS, or IoT?

Just speaking for myself: I have Fedora installations on 1G RAM VM
servers that I've been upgrading for many years now, and they just
keep chugging along as of Fedora 35. If I would need to either 1) pay
twice the money per month to keep this setup, or 2) spend a few days
reprovisioning the servers with Fedora CoreOS 36 (assuming it doesn't
suffer from the same problem), then I'd consider neither of these
options a desirable outcome.

> I use Fedora IoT on GCPs free tier offering and it is fine. I a, assuming
> `rpm-ostree install` doesn’t have this issue.

rpm-ostree uses libdnf under the hood, so it might suffer from the
same issue ...

I wonder, what actually caused this issue? Are there just so many
packages with so many files now that the metadata has just grown
beyond a specific threshold (again)? Or are there underlying bugs /
inefficiencies in dnf that lead to more RAM use that would be
necessary? If it's the former, then "fixing" the problem will probably
need to wait for "DNF5", but if it's the latter, that's something we
could actually fix *now*?

Fabio