On Fri, 2 Sep 2022, Neal H. Walfield wrote:

Note: Sequoia currently uses Nettle on Fedora, but there is ongoing
work to port it to Sequoia to OpenSSL:

I think this should be considered a blocker for changing gpg backends.

https://github.com/rpm-software-management/rpm/issues/2041#issuecomment-1219175000

Note2: There are lots of reasons to use Sequoia, but one user-visible
reason is improved usability.  When a user imports a certificate,
Sequoia lints it and displays potential issues, or reasons why it
can't be imported:

https://github.com/rpm-software-management/rpm/issues/1974#issuecomment-1081779174

 $ rpm --import peter-expired-backsig.pgp
 Certificate 251C20A67D942D45:
   Policy rejects subkey CB4F47D30C8C9CE1: Expired on 2020-05-08T05:11:51Z
   Certificate does not have any usable signing keys

Whereas before rpm would just say:

 error: peter-expired-backsig.pgp: key 1 import failed.

That seems like a fairly minor point to change backends and crypto
library for and could be something that can be fixed in the current
backend as well?

Of course if upstream rpm is moving, I think fedora should do so as well
to keep in line with upstream, but to me that really does imply not
using nettle but using openssl.

Paul