On Thu, 2022-09-15 at 18:36 +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 5:55 PM Kevin Fenzi <ke...@scrye.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 09:26:36AM +0300, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
> > >
> > > Proven packagers seem to be a fair category to address. Also packagers
> > > responsible for security-related bits of the distribution. Compilers?
>
> Perhaps any packager who has a package in one of the critical path lists?
> That number (of package(r)s) may be a bit large, though, for an initial cut
> (as I recall, the total number of critical path packages is around 1000
> in rawhide, although I have no idea how many packagers that is).

There's a kind of "surprising" property of the critical path list too -
it contains some things you might not expect.

We have "critical path" groups for lots of desktops, including ones
that aren't release-blocking: deepin, lxde, lxqt, and xfce. The logic
here is approximately: things that are critical to those desktops are
indeed critical to users of those desktops, and don't affect anybody
else. So it makes sense to put them on the "critical path", because to
the relatively small subset of users who *do* use those desktops, the
updates really *are* critical, and it doesn't hurt users of any other
desktop for them to be held up.

Still, we might not want to enforce 2FA requirements for those
packages.

This would be another good reason to make the critpath definition more
sophisticated - keeping track of which critpath groups a package is
part of. Which I still would like to work on in some of my copious
spare time...sigh.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA