Brian C. Lane wrote:
> We have reached a point where boot security is important enough

LOL!

> that Windows is now only allowing their bootloader to be used.

It is blatantly obvious that that is actually the goal, not the means.

This is clearly a vendor lock-in "feature", with "security" used as the
excuse (just like other similar vendor lock-in "features", e.g., the iOS App
Store monopoly).

Incidentally, the "feature" not only prevents chainloading (which can be
worked around by using BootNext), but also disabling Restricted Boot
("Secure" Boot) altogether (which is a much worse restriction), because
that, too, changes the TPM PCR measurements.

But the marketing as a "security" "feature" clearly works, because there
does not seem to be any noticeable public outrage about these absolutely
unacceptable monopolistic restrictions.

        Kevin Kofler