On Tue Sep 6, 2022, Ben Cotton wrote:
> == Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
> The new DNF5 will obsolete `dnf`, `yum`, `dnf-automatic`, `yum-utils`,
> and DNF plugins (core and extras). python3-dnf and LIBDNF (`libdnf`,
> `python3-hawkey`) will be obsoleted by `fedora-obsolete-packages`.

I am worried about removing python3-dnf this early. As far as I can
tell, the new Python libdnf bindings are very much not a drop in
replacement. There are a fair amount of tools and scripts that depend on
python3-dnf. The change proposal listed some of them, but Ansible's dnf
module is notably missing. Personal user scripts (such as the one I use
for Go CVE rebuilds) and some of releng's scripts will also be broken. I
don't think we should proceed with removing python3-dnf until the
majority of the important dependent software is ported. (To be clear, I
don't consider my personal scripts to be important dependent software
:).

In general, I think the "If DNF5 will be not ready to replace DNF"
contingent needs to have definite criteria and the compatibility section
needs to be expanded. Of course FESCo can do as they see fit, but I
personally have qualms with approving a major change like this in
advanced of an actual stable release and major testing, especially
without a clear definition of when DNF5 is considered ready to replace
DNF4.

--
Best,

Maxwell G (@gotmax23)