On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 07:53:40AM -0600, Matt Domsch wrote:
> > > biosdevname installed by default, used in the installer and at runtime
> > > to rename Dell and HP server onboard NICs from non-deterministic
> > > "ethX" to clearly labeled "lomX" matching the chassis silkscreen.
> >   But why ???lomX??? for all? Isn't Lights-Out-Management available only on
> > first
> > ethernet port and often on dedicated port?
> This has nothing to do with Lights-Out-Management.  LOM also == LAN on
> Motherboard.

Since you're already silkscreening this on the chassis of your systems,
clearly this ship is well out of the harbor, but that confusion seems like a
completely legitimate concern. Seems like it could easily result in
management interfaces getting plugged into the wrong networks.

Also, I gotta say, it really shouldn't be LAN on Motherboard, since it's
just an adapter, not actually a whole lan. It should clearly be NIC on
Motherboard, or "nom". And then you could silkscreen lolcats on to the
servers, which I think would be a win for everyone.

--
Matthew Miller <mat...@mattdm.org>