On Wed, Sep 28, 2022 at 7:48 PM Simon Farnsworth via devel
<devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> > On 28 Sep 2022, at 14:27, Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> So only everybody who specifically purchased a discrete GPU that works
> >> "out of the box" with Fedora?
> >
> > Well, we don't ship any userspace software that provides the necessary
> > support code to use those codecs anyway.
> >
> Firefox was able to use VA-API on Intel (at least - I don’t have Radeon
> hardware to hand) to accelerate H.264 decode.

Intel doesn't use Gallium (Mesa) for VA-API. You need a separate
driver package for it, which we currently don't ship and the version
being reviewed will not have these codecs enabled.

> And we ship gstreamer1-vaapi which lets any GStreamer using application
> (Totem, for example) use hardware acceleration.

Hmm, I forgot about that. FFmpeg doesn't have it because ffmpeg does
stupid things when the codec is available but doesn't work. GStreamer
is probably more intelligent about failing over.