On Wed, Oct 19, 2022 at 2:57 AM Kamil Paral <kpa...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 18, 2022 at 10:43 PM Ben Cotton <bcot...@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> There should be new options for resetting the persistent overlay and
>> booting with no persistence. The default options should boot with
>> persistence and setup of persistence should work.
>

> Neal, Matt, what is the rationale for enabling persistence for the default
> boot option? I have mixed opinions about this. One of the benefits of a Live
> image, as we use it today, is that it's always the same/fresh. If I use it
> and then hand it over to a friend/colleague, I don't need to worry that some
> personal files (like a browser history) were left behind. I also don't need
> to worry that I (or the previous user) made some changes which would
> negatively impact the installation process or my user environment (like
> configuring a different keymap, or installing some updates). It's always as
> the creators intended. With the proposed Change, suddenly I need to care and
> need to worry.

Hmm, that makes sense. The main reason I was thinking of it was to
make the live media useful in portable and rescue environments. Maybe
it would make sense to make the default boot option activate
persistence if it exists, but use a temporary overlay if it doesn't
(which is what we technically do today) and create menu options to
trigger overlay creation.

That said, SoaS would probably benefit from default persistence, since
I believe it's supposed to work from a USB stick.

> My impression is that currently persistence use is basically non-existent.
> Our well-advertised tools like Fedora Media Writer don't support it. Even if
> we flip this to make it easily available (which is probably a good thing),
> how many users do you estimate would actually want to make use of it? Who
> would want to work from a Live image regularly? I'm sure there are some use
> cases, but they seem so niche to me, that making it a non-default boot option
> wouldn't be a problem at all.
>
> I wonder if you've thought about this and why you decided to propose making
> it enabled by default. Thanks.

I know that a big part of why persistence use is non-existent is that
support for integrating it into FMW has been deferred for years. Over
that time, the script has see-sawed from working to not working.
Having persistence means people can have Fedora environments they can
carry around, and if we advertised the capability, I think people
*would* use it.

Enabling persistence is pretty much a matter of adding a boot option
to the grub menu item. If we could modify the grub menu configuration
from FMW, then we could probably have a checkbox there to turn on/off
the capability.