V Fri, Nov 11, 2022 at 02:05:11PM +0100, Miro Hrončok napsal(a):
> > > As a result, more RPM packages will be reproducible:
> >
> > Where will this reproducibility stop? An RPM package itself carry a build
> > time in its RPM header. Are we also going to fake this time in the name of
> > reproducibility?
>
> Not as part of this change proposal and I have no intention to propose such
> a thing.

Then a goal of this change cannot be a reproducible RPM package. We could
rather speak about reproducible cpio archives inside the RPM packages.

> > What value these faked timestamps have? E.g. a compiled file is a function
> > not
> > only of its source, but also of the compiler. This proposed change removes
> > the compiler part from the timestamp. Will timestamps like this be helpful?
>
> Are the current timestamps helpful?

None of the timestamps are reliable. But a universe where two versions of
a file have the same timestamp but a different content violates my perception
of time. It's connected to the tracability touched by Alexander.

> > Wouldn't be easier to admit that timesamps are nonsense and simply eradicate
> > all of them stamps from various data formats rather than trying to fake
> > them?
>
> I don't think it would be easier, but I have not tried that.
>
> > Simply changing rpmbuild to set timestamp to 0 for all contained files, or
> > removing the time attribute from the RPM format completely?
>
> RPM does not currently support this. RPM currently supports mtime clamping
> which is what we have proposed. You seem to not like the idea but you don't
> say so explicitly. If you prefer status quo over this change and would
> rather see the proposal rejected, please say so, so FESCo can evaluate your
> feedback when voting about the proposal.

I asked all the questions because I think it's quite convoluted way to
reproducible builds. If the purpose is just normalize timestamps to a release
date of the package, then fine.

I didn't write explicitly that I don't like this change, because I can see
some advantages of it. I'm only not convinced, wheter loosing advatages of the
current systems is worth of it.

-- Petr