On Tue, Dec 6, 2022 at 1:43 AM Terry Barnaby <ter...@beam.ltd.uk> wrote:

> On 05/12/2022 16:00, Jarek Prokop wrote:
>

> On 12/5/22 14:57, Peter Robinson wrote:
>
> On Mon, Dec 5, 2022 at 12:01 PM Vitaly Zaitsev via devel
> <devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
> On 05/12/2022 12:39, Terry Barnaby wrote:
>
> I am wondering what Fedora's policy is on depreciated old shared
> libraries and particularly compat RPM's ?
>
> Fedora is a bleeding edge distribution. If you need old versions, you
> should try CentOS or RHEL.
>
> Being leading edge doesn't mean those usecases aren't relevant, one is
> not mutually exclusive to the other, especially when it comes to
> things like FPGAs etc.
>
> We still have myriad of VM orchestrating solutions (libvirt, vagrant,
> gnome-boxes, and probably others I forgot).
> There shouldn't be a problem spinning up a graphical environment of CentOS 7,
> getting EPEL and then using the tool.
>
> Maybe the tool would work using the `toolbox` utility using last known good
> Fedora version for the tool.
> That is just my wild guess however.
>
> This is sometimes the tax for being "too" modern.
> If the vendor does not want to support Fedora, we can't be held accountable
> to fully support their solution.
> Does the software work? Yes? That is great! If not, well… we can't do much
> without the source code under nice FOSS license, can we.
>
> Regards,
> Jarek
>
> Although yes, there are things like VM's, containers etc. which we use for
> old development environments all of these are, IMO, clumsy and awkward to use
> and difficult to manage especially within automated build environments that
> build the complete code for an embedded system with various CPU's, FPGA's,
> other tools etc.
>
> I know Fedora is fairly bleeding edge (really too bleeding edge for our uses,
> but others are too far behind), but there is obviously going to be a balance
> here so that Fedora is still useful to as many people as reasonably possible,
> hence the question on a policy.
>
> In the particular case I am talking about, libncurses*5.so, this is a fairly
> common shared library used by quite a few command line tools. A lot of
> external/commercial programs are built on/for Redhat7 as it is a de-facto
> base Linux platform and programs built on it will likely work on many other
> Linux systems. These companies are not going to build for a version of
> Fedora, it changes far to fast and would require large amounts or
> development/support work because of this. Some of the tools I am using were
> built/shipped in Feburary 2022, so we are not talking about old tools here.

I wouldn't expect them to build for a Fedora version.  I also wouldn't
expect ISV software built against Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 (or 8) to
work on Fedora either.

> My view is that compat versions of the commonly used shared libraries for
> programs that are used on Redhat7 should be kept available until most people
> are not producing programs for that system at least +nyears and then I guess
> Redhat8 once that really becomes a core base platform that external people
> use. A core list of these (there are only a few) could be kept somewhere and
> when one is to be depreciated, or users see problems when Fedora is updated,
> a decision on this can be then made with that info. This would keep the
> Fedora system relevant for more users needs without too much work. In the
> case of ncurses, it is really just putting back into the SPEC file that which
> was removed for F37 plus the extra storage on mirrors for the compat RPM's.

As a data point, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9 does not provide
ncurses-compat-libs.  If you can, it would be good to ask your ISVs to
provide a timeline when they will migrate off of a very old version of
ncurses.

josh