On Tue, Dec 6, 2022 at 8:26 AM Michael Cronenworth <m...@cchtml.com> wrote:

> On 12/5/22 5:41 PM, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > But in general, it looks like an upgrade to ImageMagick 7 will be
> > rather easy to do.
>
> Hi Neal,
>
> I appreciate your eagerness here, but it is a little misled.
>
> Version 7 is radically different than version 6. Most (I don't have an exact
> figure)
> packages in Fedora are *only* compatible with version 6.
>
> Why do I know this? Check out the ImageMagick git history around September
> 2017. :)

The Git history is not useful. It has no details of why. I've already
looked at it before.

> I think you need to back off the high horse here wanting version 7 as a
> primary
> package and version 6 as a compat package, but I've relinquished my
> ImageMagick
> duties as it takes too much time and energy, and Sergio is doing a great job
> taking
> over.

There's a very important difference between September 2017 and now: we
know someone else already did it!

Two distributions have already transitioned from ImageMagick 6 to
ImageMagick 7 by default: PLD (December 2016) and openSUSE (March
2017). As a result of that, a number of packages have already been
made compatible with IM7 over the past five years. Incidentally, this
means ImageMagick 7 is part of SUSE Linux Enterprise 15.

When I went through and rebuilt things, most things *just worked*. I
had to do a very simple tweak to the ImageMagick package to make it
easier to make stuff that's compatible with both find the IM7 headers,
and all but 5 packages built. Only two packages needed patches to
introduce IM6/IM7 compatibility, and one of those isn't dead upstream.
I'll send the patch upstream for that package. There are actually
other packages I could fix in Fedora with patches from openSUSE or
PLD, but they need more work to not break compatibility with building
with GraphicsMagick (which these packages in question support), so
using IM6 there for now is fine while that gets worked out.

I only said we should do it because I know it works. Not doing it
propagates this problem of continuing to default to the legacy
version.

As an aside: I don't appreciate the "high horse" comment, considering
during most of this discussion, I was doing the work and evaluating
things.