On Do, 22.12.22 10:43, Neal Gompa (ngomp...@gmail.com) wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 22, 2022 at 10:39 AM Lennart Poettering
> <mzerq...@0pointer.de> wrote:

> > > Frankly, I'm aggravated by the increased reliance on UEFI features
> > > without fixing Linux's problems with UEFI features. If we stopped
> > > relying on UEFI for the cert store, a lot of my issues would go away,
> > > because then we can design better workflows for managing
> > > certificates.
> >
> > Well, the thing is: a chain of trust is a *chain*, hence you must
> > ultimately hook validation to what the firmware provides you with as
> > root. And that ultimately is the SecureBoot db on commodity hardware.
> >
> > If I buy a boring laptop at a store it will come with a UEFI cert
> > store, and nothing else. Linux cannot really ignore that. If it did,
> > then you'd not have a trusted boot chain, hence the whole excercsie
> > would be pointless.
> >

> Shim trusts MS and the main distro cert, grub is trusted from there,
> then the OS trusts those and anything else the admin adds. That's how
> It should work. Trust chains are sensible as long as they're
> extensible.

Hmm, that chain is partly backwards? it's the firmware that has to
trust the msft cert which trusts shim, which trusts the distro cert,
which trusts grub and the kernel. The thing that comes first
at boot must trust the next, otherwise we'd have to boot into
untrusted stuff first, which really misses the point? not grokking
what you are trying tosay?

> > > You *need* to think about these problems when designing this stuff.
> > > You can't take a myopic x86-only view to this. I have not heard of
> > > anything about UKI security for non-x86 because it seems to all be
> > > tied up in UEFI stuff.
> >
> > I work for a company that is working on ARM UEFI systems booting UKIs
> > in massive scale.
>
> One company is one company. It's not a variety of people and users.
> Scale means nothing if it's not distributed.

Well, you said you have not "heard" of anyone doing UKI security on
non-x86. Now you have.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin