> Am 22.01.2023 um 03:55 schrieb Bill C <bill.cu1...@gmail.com>:
>
> I am going to ask because I am curious. Is systemd a good resolving server? I
> normally don't run servers but I find this thread interesting. Everyone seems
> to want to shutdown systemd-resolver and go to network manager. At least
> that's how I have been interpreting this.

Without splitting hairs, just to avoid the discussion going in the wrong
direction: systemd-resolved is *not* a (DNS) "server" (but a system service).
It is a DNS „client“ or consumer and an alternative to glib's getaddrinfo,
which solves (or wants to solve) some security issues and provides additional
features, such as a cache and split DNS. Using /etc/resolv.conf as a symlink to
/run/.../stub-resolve.conf ensures that programs that use the API and those
that work directly via /etc/resolv.conf obtain consistent DNS information.
Therefore, it is generally a bad idea to replace this symlink.

Systemd offers a significant improvement in today's network world, where
servers often serve both public and private networks, or desktops/laptops are
additionally connected to corporate networks via VPN. Therefore, surely not
"everyone" wants to turn off systemd-networkd. These are very special cases.

--
Peter Boy
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pboy

Timezone: CET (UTC+1) / CEST (UTC+2)

Fedora Server Edition Working Group member
Fedora docs team contributor
Java developer and enthusiast