I tried:

> fedpkg --release f37 --name hello mockbuild
sources file doesn't exist. Source files download skipped.
Could not execute mockbuild: Could not query n-v-r of hello: 'utf-8' codec
can't decode byte 0x93 in position 194: invalid start byte

The spec file has this contents, right from the tutorial, and the tarball does
exist there.

Version:        2.10
Source0:        https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/hello/hello-%{version}.tar.gz

> Alternatively, if you're just taking your first steps with packaging, you
> can try:
> $ rpmbuild -bs path/to/your.spec
> $ mock path/to/file-created-by-previous-command.srpm
>
> This will first build an SRPM ("source rpm"), and then build it in mock,
> which is
> pretty much exactly what "fedpkg mockbuild" does.

My .spec file is the one from the tutorial at

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/package-maintainers/Packaging_Tutorial_GNU_Hello/

Should that tutorial work?  Is it perhaps obsolete?

My newbie understanding is that fedpkg should get the source from the Source0
location and then follow the build instructions.  Is that even close?