Has `%patchN` been deprecated in favour of `%patch N`?

I got a push by a proven packager to one of the packages which I maintain,
commit subject and changelog entry "Fix deprecated patch rpm macro". It
contains no explanation and no reference whatsoever. I didn't find any heads up
notice, nor info in the packaging guidelines, but I didn't try too hard -
because it's not my job.

I mean: One person is doing that push. Is it too much to ask to get at least
the slightest bit of reference or communication before or into a push which
probably affects hundreds of people? If not out of courtesy then out of mere
common sense of efficiency?

On the technical side, I'd be interested why this is better (fewer macros?) and
which releases can take it, and what are the recommendations for
`PatchN:`-lines (with or without N), and why (or whether) the recommendation
isn't to go for `%autosetup` or `%autopatch` - maybe all answered in the
missing reference.

P.S.: There is nothing to "fix" here either, only to "adapt" to the deprecation
notice, but I'll take that one easy between non-native speakers, presumably.