On Thu, Apr 20, 2023 at 8:58 PM Solomon Peachy via devel <
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 20, 2023 at 07:21:54PM -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> > Hi Matthew, you say: "We're missing people", and I think, "who?".
> > And who are you going to miss if you move to discourse?
>
> Again and again I have seen this "we're missing people" sentiment be
> used to justify scrapping "old" workflows, and *not once* has it ever
> resulted in "more people" coming out of the woodwork that would have
> happily contributed in the past, but were turned off/away by the need to
> use archaic email.
>
> (FFS, If we're going to follow this to its logical conclusion, we should
>  just scrap all of this email/discourse/whatever and just move
>  everything to github, or even facebook, as that's clearly where the
>  most numbers of people are.  "but no, our custom tooling makes things
>  better for us" is the inevitable pushback, which arguably applies just
>  as much to email-based flows!)
>
> > The mailing list make messages land in my client, on which I am very
> > efficient, therefore I can check all messages once a day, and respond
> > if I find a worthy topic.
>
> ...and the very nature of Discourse or various other Forums pretty much
> make this sort of workflow impossible; that is to say you're all but
> forced to manually poll every site you care about in a way that all but
> makes automation impossible.

... snip ...

Although I rarely participate, I do read just about everything.
And I have to completely agree with Solomon's response.

Moving to a forum based tool will
a) have the opposite effect expected, and
b) make it harder to follow because of the effort required to
   be notified, scan and read messages.

- email is push, not poll; so it consumes much less time and bandwidth
- email allows 'notification-scan-respond/delete' in basically one (or two)
clicks
  in ~3 seconds of elapsed time (for 'n' messages/topics)

Can you say the same for Discourse?