On Friday, 21 April 2023 at 20:17, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Fri, 2023-04-21 at 11:00 -0400, Solomon Peachy via devel wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 21, 2023 at 04:55:00PM +0200, Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
> > > I agree there's a huge lack of netiquette in Fedora's mailing lists,
> > > with wholesale quoting, top-posting, subjects not being updated, etc but
> > > changing mediums seems far more expensive than asking people to post
> > > emails that are easier to read.
> >
> > Not to mention these problems won't go away just because it's now hosted
> > on a web page..
>
> Well, not because it's hosted on a web page, but a more structured
> system *does* address a lot of these problems. A lot of what you're
> referring to as "netiquette" is really about putting the onus on each
> individual user to do stuff that a more sophisticated system could
> handle for them, and a system like discourse *does* handle those. You
> can't top-post on discourse.

You don't have threaded replies, either. And quoting the post you're
replying to is entirely non-intuitive. It took me a while to discover
that you have to click on the "speech bubble" icon inside the editor that
opens after you click reply.

> Renaming topics works in a much saner way.
> You can deal with 'cross-posting' in a much saner and more flexible
> way. Quoting is always a problem everywhere, but that's only *one*
> thing, at least. :D

Quoting and threading are the fundamental features in text-based
non-realtime conversations, so switching to a medium that offers
inferior quoting and no threading is questionable at best.

As can be deduced from my UA header, I'm firmly in the e-mail camp
and, similar to others in this thread, I find web-based forums
unintuitive and difficult to use efficiently because of lack of
efficient keyboard control. Yes, there are keyboard shortcuts in
Discourse, but they don't allow you to browse through and open
expand highlighted threads, jump to Nth thread/message, etc.

Efficient navigation requires combined keyboard/mouse usage, which
disrupts the experience.

Regards,
Dominik
--