On Sun, May 7, 2023 at 4:59 PM Chris Adams <li...@cmadams.net> wrote:

> Once upon a time, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kof...@chello.at> said:
> > Chris Adams wrote:
> > > I updated the source of a package of mine last night.  The upstream is
> > > on Github, and I use the %forgemeta macro for an easy spec file.  When
> > > tried to run "fedpkg build" though, it failed - the build system
> > > rejected the build because it was expecting an SRPM with a release
> > > string including 20230507, but instead got one with 20230506.
> >
> > Could it be that you built the package over midnight UTC, so the SRPM
> was
> > still built with 20230506, but when the build happened, it was already
> > 20230507?
>
> It wasn't that, I tried it several times.  Also, the forge macro is
> using the timestamp of the source file, not the wall clock (so the
> system clock being wrong wouldn't have caused it either).

It uses the timestamp of the source file, but are those timestamps the
same? When you download from the forge, the timestamp on the file will be
the time that you downloaded it. When you upload to the lookaside cache,
the timestamp will be for when it was put there, but your local file has
not changed. When fedpkg or koji download from the lookaside cache, it will
copy the timestamp from it for reproducibility.

However, if the file already exists, fedpkg won't touch it. I suspect if
you delete the tarball and have fedpkg download it again, everything will
appear consistent again.

--
Elliott