Hi,

> > And install kernels to /boot/efi in case /boot is not a XBOOTLDR
> > filesystem?
>
> If /boot is not a XBOOTLDR, then we only have one file system which is
> the ESP. It could be mounted on /boot or on /efi or maybe even /boot/efi (*).
> The kernels would then go to /boot/EFI/Linux, /efi/EFI/Linux, or
> /boot/efi/EFI/Linux,
> respectively. (When you write /boot/efi, it's not clear what exactly you
> mean. The duplication of "efi" and "EFI" on on case-insensitive system
> is confusing.)

I meant ESP mounted at /boot/efi (and therefore UKIs in /boot/efi/EFI/Linux).

> (*) This is actually something that'd need to be figure out.
> /boot/efi is the worst choice; either /boot or /efi would be OK,
> but something needs to be chosen.

/boot/efi is clearly not ideal for a number of reasons, but this is what
we have today and changing this opens up another can of worms.  For
starters this will stop working:

    # rpm -ql shim-x64
    /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI
    /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/fbx64.efi
    /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/BOOTX64.CSV
    [ ... ]

If we are going to change this the only option which makes sense to me
is to go for the systemd default: ESP (if present) mounted at /efi,
XBOOTLDR (if present) mounted at /boot.

take care,
  Gerd