On 5/9/23 07:53, Stephen Smoogen wrote:
> On Mon, 8 May 2023 at 19:35, Demi Marie Obenour <demioben...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 5/8/23 19:09, Neal Gompa wrote:

>> and

>>> Using Podman with it through Podman's implementation of the Docker
>>> Host protocol *may* work, but a version of Podman that has it is not
>>> currently available for RHEL 7 (which is what OpenShift 3.11 runs on).
>>
>> Time for an OpenShift upgrade?
>>

> I realize people are trying to help with suggestions, but the problem is
> that this is not a simple solution or it would have been done years ago.
>
> The Fedora Build System is a very complicated set of applications all tied
> together with custom scripting, schema, and various updates over time.
> There are somewhere around 40 core services and 30 more subsidiary ones
> which need to be continually working to allow for the daily builds for
> multiple releases. Many of those services have been added in at different
> times with different operating systems and rules. In order to work with
> each other a lot of 'glue' scripting, libraries and such are needed.
>
> You upgrade podman/docker in one section and you find that the message bus
> isn't sending in another because an API call isn't there anymore. You try
> putting in something which says it has a koji plugin and you find it
> doesn't work with our koji and then you need to extend the plugin 40 ways
> to work with bodhi, pdc, fedmsg and fedora-messaging, and a dozen other
> things which all are the actual build system. Once those get fixed, you
> find that it is now causing other glue parts to fail in odd ways no one
> remembers why without some archaeological coding.

Having ancient versions of OpenShift is almost certainly a security problem.
If there is stuff that cannot be kept on a supported version it should be
removed.

> When dealing with the Build system side of things there is currently 1
> senior system administrator and 1 senior release engineer. There are some
> volunteers who can work on subparts but mainly have day jobs doing other
> things. Looking at IRC, most of the 10-12 hour work day is dealing with
> compose problems, build issues, hardware failures, and similar things. Most
> of the 40 component subsystems like the Open Shift Build System (OSBS) are
> brought in by a dedicated team who have a budget time to get it working and
> into place. Once that time is done, any fixes are on the Fedora staff or
> working with available time from whatever team.

This is the actual problem IMO.  What will it take to fix it?

> tl;dr: The Fedora Build System is in total a very complicated set of tools
> where changing or upgrading any one part tends to cascade to fixing lots of
> glue throughout the system. Instead of looking to upgrade things to add
> more deliverables, it may be better to look at other ways to get those
> deliverables built.

Do you mean outside of the Fedora Build System?
--
Sincerely,
Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers)