On Wed, May 10, 2023, at 5:21 PM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> So to add to this. I happen to be at LFSMMBPF at the moment, the Linux
> File System summit (among other things) where all the Linux FS people
> meet. I spoke to a couple of FS maintainers here, and well, let me
> make this very clear: using any of the major Linux file systems with
> drivers that are not the ones in the Linux kernel is a very bad idea,
> and expressly not supported by them. [They actually used much harsher
> words, that I'll not repeat here – this is the "friendly" version of
> their take on your idea.]
>
> So, unless you want to go against what the people who actually
> maintain the file systems expressly say please just get this idea out
> of your head that porting Linux file systems into EFI fs drivers was a
> good, supportable idea.
>
> And Neal, Chris, if you don't believe the above, then hey, I am happy
> to open a thread with them in CC where they can tell you in person how
> bad an idea that is.

I don't know what question you asked them. Any modifications (writes) performed
outside kernel code is not supported, since forever.

Read-only drivers, which are the only drivers under discussion here, aren't a
per se problem because they can't modify the file system. So they have no
complaints about that.

--
Chris Murphy