On Tue May 30, 2023 at 3:04 PM EDT, Aoife Moloney wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/AspellDeprecation
>
> This document represents a proposed Change. As part of the Changes
> process, proposals are publicly announced in order to receive
> community feedback. This proposal will only be implemented if approved
> by the Fedora Engineering Steering Committee.
>
> == Summary ==
>
> Deprecating aspell package because there are better-supported spell
> checkers like hunspell/enchant2 which could be used instead. It also
> has an upstream with almost 4 years of no action.

I am concerned about the potential accessibility ramifications of
removing Aspell.

I am a terrible speller; I had a spelling tutor in the summer between
4th and 5th grade to get me to the point where spellcheck could
understand me. Even still, I struggle with most spellcheckers. However,
I have found that Aspell with --sug-mode=bad-spellers and both the
Aspell and system dictionaries to be extremely helpful (it should be
noted that this was so monumental for me that I still remember the
argument even though I’ve only ever written in once — in my editor’s
config file).

I looked through the Hunspell documentation [1] and did not find any
equivalent option. I am further concerned because I also found [2]
saying that Hunspell was not adequate for the author and that Aspell
was, and “Spell Checker Test Kernel Results” [3] in which Aspell in Bad
Spellers mode achieved a score of 82.3, while Hunspell achieved 75.8.

[1]: https://github.com/hunspell/hunspell/tree/master/man
[2]:
https://battlepenguin.com/tech/aspell-and-hunspell-a-tale-of-two-spell-checkers/
[3]: http://aspell.net/test/cur/

Additionally, I do not believe that general support level should be a
factor in deciding what to package. If we were to follow that logic,
then we should remove niche DEs like NsCDE because most tools support
other desktops. Support level is certainly something that should be
considered when deciding what to deploy, but that decision should be
left up to the people deploying them. As a more pertinent example, Nano
supports Aspell by default and documents how to better integrate with
it. As such, as a Nano user, it does not matter to me whether Aspell is
supported in LibreOffice.

--
DJ Chase
They, Them, Theirs