On 6/5/23 12:13, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
> On 6/5/23 09:35, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
>
>> "easily install from Flathub" brings us closer to Windows where you
>> "easily" install software from random places on the Internet and they
>> bring their own bundled outdated versions of libraries. Flatpaks have
>> the added downside of not integrating well with the OS on top of the
>> bloat they bring. No, thank you. I'd rather have proper well-integrated
>> RPMs installed from official distro repos.
>
> Unfortunately very few people still understand the value of using
> system libraries instead of bundling one hundred of them in each package.
> The day a zlib vulnerability is discovered, instead of just updating
> a 50k lib rpm (and restart apps, or maybe reboot), you have to update
> 30 apps, each of them sized at 50MB, and including possibly badly patched
> versions of the lib etc. (good luck knowing which app is affected,
> when the fix will be available, ...).

zlib should be added to the standard freedesktop.org runtime if it is not
already included.

> There is a disturbing trend to bundling everything, which comes from
> environments with no shared libraries (Android) or from languages
> that do not do dynamic linking (golang).
Bundling is the norm on Windows and macOS, and is required on Android
and iOS.  Cross-platform projects like LibreOffice, Firefox, and OBS
already have to deal with updating bundled dependencies.

> Whatever is not in a rule-conforming rpm, is not correctly packaged,
> in my opinion.

Are you willing to do the packaging work?  Asking upstream to create
packages for every distribution is not reasonable.
--
Sincerely,
Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers)