On Thu, 2010-12-02 at 12:30 -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 11:25:03AM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-12-02 at 14:10 -0500, Doug Ledford wrote:
> > > That being the case, I test the package fairly rigorously myself.  But
> > > this process doesn't take that into account.  I test far more things
> > > than you get with a few people just doing smoke tests, but the smoke
> > > tests are actually the gating factor.  If you changed the process so a
> > > maintainer can indicate they've done their own fairly extensive testing,
> > > that would satisfy me.  But that also opens the door for abuse, so you
> > > would have to watch maintainers once you enabled this ability.
> >
> > I've posted in the thread earlier that I'd actually like to do this,
> > others seem opposed however.
> >
> FWIW I'm for it with your explanation and added it to the Update
> brainstorming page last night:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Kevin/Updates_Policy_Changes_Ideas_Container

If we go this way, I'd propose adding additional guidelines to the
proventester policy specific to maintainers testing their own packages.

* Test the actual build that will go out, from Koji - don't test your
own local build of the same spec

* Try and test in a reasonably user-ish environment, not your own highly
customized one; if this means using a separate user account or a VM, do
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey