Hi all,

This mail is just a heads up on go-sig delicate current status.

After a "non-responsive" process for one of the go-sig members[1], a
lot of go-sig packages become orphans. This maintainer has been
working for years creating hundreds of packages and updating them.

The orphaning process caused that ~2100/~2300 go-sig packages to be
affected directly or indirectly. The current number is 1633/2373
packages affected. The list of currently affected packages can easily
be checked using package-dashboard[2] and clicking on the 'orphan'
(little person) button at the top right.

IIUC in little more than 4 weeks all those orphaned packages will be
retired and that can cause massive impact. Indirectly affected
packages include docker (moby-engine), containerd, rclone, restic or
gopass to name a few. Some packages might be key for some people, some
might just disappear without causing major noise.

I adopted ~100 packages needed by packages I maintain and I'm in the
process to update them. More hands will be needed to take the rest
and/or review new deps required by the updates.

And that's it. As this may create some bad press if some of those
packages vanish, I just wanted to alert devel-list.

Kind regards,
Mikel

[1] https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/2999
[2] https://packager-dashboard.fedoraproject.org/dashboard?groups=go-sig