Late follow-up...

On Tue, May 30, 2023 at 2:46 AM Peter Oliver <
lists.fedoraproject....@mavit.org.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 26 May 2023, Björn Persson wrote:
>
> > One way to avoid all the color issues could be to just make the prompt
> > bold by default. That would probably make it stand out enough in many
> > situations. I think it wouldn't help much for programmers compiling
> > software though, because GCC outputs filenames in uncolored bold text,
> > so even a bold prompt would blend in among the compilation errors.

Right, true

> Underlining or reverse video would get my vote, instead of bold.

I did play with reverse video before my original post, and found it rather
"high contrast" - though it may deserve more exploration.
Dim reverse video seems more palatable perhaps.

> For myself, I have a more complicated scheme that sets the prompt
> background colour to light grey on light terminals and dark grey on dark
> terminals.  I find this is just enough to easily find the prompt when
> scrolling back, without distracting from the output I’m looking at.  My
> instinct is that detecting the background colour too fiddly to inflict on
> users by default, though.

Yes, setting the background and foreground together is probably the safest
way to maintain good contrast.

Jens