On 6/27/23 13:30, Kalev Lember wrote:
On Tue, Jun 27, 2023 at 11:02 AM Vít Ondruch <vondr...@redhat.com <mailto:vondr...@redhat.com>> wrote:

    I don't think that GCC is always the best example to follow.

    Nevertheless, wouldn't it be worth of phasing out the /lib64? I don't
    know what is the history behind, but I don't think this layout is
    conceptual.

I would like to have a layout similar to what Debian is doing, so that shared libraries would go in /usr/lib/x86_64-redhat-linux/ and /usr/lib64 would be a legacy symlink pointing to it.

Likewise.

That kind of layout would make it much easier to do cross compilation because you could just take the whole /usr/lib/another-host-triplet/ directory from another architecture without it interfering with the host libraries and use it for cross compilation purposes.

Yes, that /lib/<target> arrangement allows for all manner of things that just aren't possible with /lib64.

https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/TheCaseForMultiarch is a good read.

It would be a lot of work transitioning to a new layout though.

That it is.

        - Panu -