> I would like to point to a problem with the current config regarding Arabic
> font.
> For Arabic text, The dejavu sans is still being displayed in many webpages in
> firefox
> instead of the noto sans.
> However, when switching the system language to arabic, firefox correctly
> displays noto
> sans arabic which is huge improvment.
> But if the system/gnome language is set to english, dejavu is frequently used
> to display
> some arabic texts in firefox
>
> The problem with dejavu sans for Arabic is being incredibly ugly and
> borderline unreadable
> when bolded.
>
> For example:
> -at fedoraproject.org/ar most text exhibit this problem, firefox is using
> dejavu to render
> arabic instead of noto sans when the system/gnome language is english
> -Youtube video titles
> -Most text at podcast.google.com
> -Wikipedia.org DOESN'T seem to suffer from this problem, It displays noto
> sans arabic
> regardless whether the system language is Arabic or English. (TLDR: this is
> the desired
> behavior)
>
> Picture example of the problem: where the first pic shows FFx rendering the
> text using
> noto, the second pic it's using dejavu for arabic.
> https://imgur.com/a/x97tCp9
>
> Is this solvable?

How about chromium?

This might be a firefox issue if it prefers Dejavu to Noto Arabic (it sounds
like that is the case):
then I think you should report a bug in Mozilla bugzilla to ask them to change
the priorities.
I think nowadays Dejavu should be considered more of a fallback than default:
but of course it is still the default font in Ubuntu so... Nevertheless I don't
see a problem
with preferring Noto if installed.  You can also open a Fedora bug to track
this.

Jens

ps In general it is better to start a new thread for problems like this, after
a long time.