> On Thu, Jul 6 2023 at 07:42:47 PM -0400, Demi Marie Obenour
> <demiobenour(a)gmail.com&gt; wrote:
>
> The problem is if users are expected to answer, they are going to
> probably answer No and it's effectively the same as an opt-in. But if
> we have a default value, users will be inclined to leave the default
> value.
>
> My plan is to put this switch in gnome-initial-setup, not the
> installer. But it will have a default value.
>
> Remember, for avoidance of doubt, we will NEVER enable telemetry upload
> without the user's consent, which is indicated by either (a) not
> flipping the telemetry switch in gnome-initial-setup to the off
> position, or (b) flipping the telemetry switch in gnome-control-center
> to the on position. (The telemetry might be enabled *locally only* for
> users who upgrade from previous versions of Fedora Workstation and who
> therefore have not seen the consent switch, but the data will never be
> uploaded to Fedora. And upgraded users will see the switch default to
> off rather than on, so it really will be opt-in for upgraded users.)
>
> I'm attaching a screenshot to give an idea of what this would look like
> in gnome-initial-setup. I don't have a gnome-control-center screenshot
> handy, but it would be similar, except there it would default to off.
> On Thu, Jul 6 2023 at 07:42:47 PM -0400, Demi Marie Obenour
> <demiobenour(a)gmail.com&gt; wrote:
>
> The problem is if users are expected to answer, they are going to
> probably answer No and it's effectively the same as an opt-in. But if
> we have a default value, users will be inclined to leave the default
> value.
>
> My plan is to put this switch in gnome-initial-setup, not the
> installer. But it will have a default value.
>
> Remember, for avoidance of doubt, we will NEVER enable telemetry upload
> without the user's consent, which is indicated by either (a) not
> flipping the telemetry switch in gnome-initial-setup to the off
> position, or (b) flipping the telemetry switch in gnome-control-center
> to the on position. (The telemetry might be enabled *locally only* for
> users who upgrade from previous versions of Fedora Workstation and who
> therefore have not seen the consent switch, but the data will never be
> uploaded to Fedora. And upgraded users will see the switch default to
> off rather than on, so it really will be opt-in for upgraded users.)
>
> I'm attaching a screenshot to give an idea of what this would look like
> in gnome-initial-setup. I don't have a gnome-control-center screenshot
> handy, but it would be similar, except there it would default to off.
> On Thu, Jul 6 2023 at 07:42:47 PM -0400, Demi Marie Obenour
> <demiobenour(a)gmail.com&gt; wrote:
>
> The problem is if users are expected to answer, they are going to
> probably answer No and it's effectively the same as an opt-in. But if
> we have a default value, users will be inclined to leave the default
> value.

Opt-out is and always will be incredibly disingenous when it comes to data
collection.  Now I'm to understand that you're hoping enough users don't
understand/notice that there's an option to opt-out, so that you recieve enough
users.  What exactly is the reason this change is being considered?

>One of the main goals of metrics collection is to analyze whether Red
>Hat is achieving its goal to make Fedora Workstation the premier
>developer platform for cloud software development. Accordingly, we
>want to know things like which IDEs are most popular among our users,
>and which runtimes are used to create containers using Toolbx.

Then why not reach out to THESE users instead of casting a global net over all
users?  There has never been a telemetry inclusion to my knowledge, that has
been to the benefit of its users.   In understand that Red Hat sells products
and services, but is it wise to do so at the expense of antagonizing its
userbase of volunteers and avocates?

At the end of the day, no matter how you word it, telemetry is still data that
is actively transmitted from the user to a third party.    I still have to
trust that this third-party will not misuse my data and ONLY collect what it
says it will.    Can Red Hat GUARANTEE that it won't collect something else if
there's a security breach or there's an update pushed to the telemetry app
containing a bug that collects more than intended?   Once it happens, no matter
if by acccident or not, it will still have happened and leaked unintended data.