On 12/06/2010 10:07 AM, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> Richard W.M. Jones píše v Po 06. 12. 2010 v 18:04 +0000:

>>> I believe the default is to block incoming connections except for a few
>>> services.  This is good if you are running a sloppily written
>>> single-user server that binds to the wildcard address.  The Haskell
>>> Scion server fell in this category as of August 2009; I didn't look to
>>> see what a remote user might be able to do to me by connecting to it.
>>> Yes, the proper way to avoid problems is to bind to localhost, but the
>>> firewall can be nice.
>>
>> It would be nice if the firewall automatically followed services that
>> I have enabled and disabled.  eg. If I explicitly enable the
>> webserver, it should open the corresponding port(s).
> Just disable the firewall and you'll get pretty much equivalent
> functionality.
>       Mirek

Right, I always struggle with this.  If you allow services that bind to
a port once enabled to have the port open, then what good does it do to
have the port closed?

I really wonder what real purpose a firewall serves on these machines.
Once you get past the "ZOMG WE NEED A FIREWALL"....

I can somewhat see a firewall trying to protect a system from a user
process that got launched without the user being aware and binding to a
high port for nefarious reasons, but how do you balance that with the
legitimate applications that bind to high ports?

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!