On Do, 03.08.23 11:29, Dmitry Belyavskiy (dbely...@redhat.com) wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> I've pushed a fresh build of OpenSSH to rawhide.
> We decided to drop the sshd.socket unit from rawhide. We don't think
> it's worth going through the changes process, but would like to
> provide a heads-up.

Hmm, why drop it? For many setups, it makes not sense to continously
run sshd, so socket activation should be fine.

I don't understand the reasoning behind this change. You claim a
DoS. Which DoS is that supposed to be? That we enforce a trigger time
limit on socket units by default? If you don't want this, turn it off,
that's what TriggerLimitIntervalSec=/TriggerLimitBurst= is for, see
docs.

The discussion makes this sound as if there was a bug in systemd or
so, but there really isn't, it's literally a safety feature you ran
into. It might not make sense to have the trigger rate limit in place
for all usecases, ssh might be one where it is not advisable, but then
the right approach is to just turn that part off, as documented, via
the aforementioned options.

See for details:

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.socket.html#TriggerLimitIntervalSec=

I don't care too much whether you make ssh socket-activated by default
or not. But at least the option should exist, already for compat with
existing setups.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin